Next Man Up
September 20, 2015
Man, what a great week in sports as the NFL season is underway, NCAA Football has now completed its third week, MLB is soon to be in the intense and highly contested playoff race come October, we’ll see NHL preseason action start this week and the NBA is right around the corner as well. Therefore, once again, let’s dive right into the past week wrap-up.
The biggest news this week is that I went 1-0 in all three of my fantasy football leagues under the name ‘Edward Fortehands’ and look to keep my domination going this week. But in real NFL news and a recap here’s what we got:
Week 1 Upsets:
- St. Louis Rams 34 Seattle Seahawks 31 (OT) – the team that won it all 2 years ago and came so close last year was upset in the opening game this season and it’s not just that they lost in OT but how Seattle’s staunch defense which has carried it allowed 34 points … will they be able to rebound in an extremely tough Week 2 matchup against the Packers in Green Bay?
- Buffalo Bills 27 Indianapolis Colts 14 – we all knew the Bills are built around their defense but their offense came to play as well plus they kept one of the most up and coming offenses in check with Andrew Luck and the Colts … they have a long time to figure out what went wrong as they don’t play until Monday Night Football this week against a seemingly better New York Jets team (although they did beat the Cleveland Browns in Week 1 so not much competition there)
- San Francisco 49ers 20 Minnesota Vikings 3 – now the 49ers are a solid team but with all the turnover and turmoil, especially on defense, and an up and coming Minnesota offense led by Teddy Bridgewater and with Adrian Peterson back I expected more than 3 points from them and a W on the board … the Vikings can try to get on track against another tough D in the Detroit Lions where they not only face a division rival but on the road
What 2 Watch 4 in Week 2:
- New England Patriots vs. Buffalo Bills – Rex Ryan and his big mouth will try to put his money there when he tries to get his defense to shut down Brady, Gronk and the Pats at home
- Atlanta Falcons vs. New York Giants – Atlanta got out of Week 1 with a win over the new-look and under-performing Eagles while the Giants have a controversy-filled loss against the Cowboys with their RB Rashad Jennings saying he was told not to score near the end of the game … speaking of those 2 other teams
- Dallas Cowboys vs. Philadelphia Eagles – for the 2nd week in a row Dallas will have a tough challenge against a division rival although this time they’ll need to do it without star WR Dez Bryant while the Eagles try to figure out how to make all their individual pieces work together and get a victory
Finally in the NFL world, Week 1 saw some big injuries which means 2 things … not only is there a conspiracy going on to thwart my fantasy football season but it’s Next Man Up. Here are some of the big injuries thus far:
- Dez Bryant (WR for Dallas Cowboys) – he broke a foot in Week 1 and will be out until Week 8 most likely and has already had surgery
- Terrell Suggs (DE for Baltimore Ravens) – the heart and soul of the defense tore his achilles and is done for the season
- DeSean Jackson (WR for Washington Redskins) – he strained a hamstring in Week 1 and will be out for 3-4 weeks while it heals
- Reggie Bush (RB for San Francisco 49ers) – luckily they have Carlos Hyde so Bush’s injured calf, which will keep him out a while, may not be as big a loss as it seems
That’s right, hockey is almost back! As a fan of the current dynasty in hockey, the Chicago Blackhawks, I’m excited to see if they can repeat and continue their dominance yet again this season even after losing plenty of keys pieces. Their first preseason game is Tuesday the 22nd against the Detroit Red Wings, who they also play the next night as well, which used to be a bitter rivalry until they reorganized the divisions. The official preseason starts today with 3 games and the regular season kicks off Wednesday October 7th with the Blackhawks facing off against the New York Rangers in Chicago as the season kicks off with a match that could very well be a preview of the Stanley Cup matchup.
Well I was going to do more this week but I’m #inbruges taking care of my wife on her birthday who has massively (British term) hurt her ankle. So hopefully I’ll have more next week … until then.